According to Barblejewelry, Theodosius was founded by the Greeks in the 6th century BC. and is one of the oldest cities. At the end of the 13th century, it became the possession of the Italian trading city of Genoa. The Genoese called it Kafa, turned it into a mighty fortress, surrounded it with walls, ditches and towers, the ruins of which have survived to this day.
The city is divided into old and new parts. The old part is a kind of architectural and historical museum with characteristic features of the Middle Ages. From the eastern side, the remains of massive defensive walls and towers, an ancient bridge over the moat are visible. The thick stone walls of the quarantine, built in the last century to receive Muslim pilgrims coming from Russia, have been preserved. through the port of Feodosia to Mecca and Medina. On Quarantine Hill in the 5th century BC was the center of the ancient city. Among the medieval monuments, the mosque with the remains of a minaret, built in 1623, attracts attention. In the old part of the city rises half of the corner wall of the tower of St. Constantine. It occupied a special place in the system of fortification of the city. Once this tower was a castle and an arsenal. It stored weapons and ammunition in case of war. There are Armenian temples built in the XIV-XV centuries in the city.
The decoration of the city is its museums, the collections of which are unique. Feodosia Art Gallery. I. K. Aivazovsky has the largest collection of paintings by the outstanding marine painter, who is a native of this city. The Green Museum resembles a fantastic ship from the inside, where visitors make journey through the imaginary country of “Greenland”. The Ethnographic Museum and the Gliding Museum are interesting to visit.
Primorsky Boulevard is a favorite place for walking. There are many rides and attractions open until late in the evening.
Feodosia beach with fine golden sand stretches for almost a dozen kilometers. The conditions for swimming here are wonderful. The bay near the city has a soft bottom and a gently sloping sandy shore.
Feodosia is famous for its mineral waters and therapeutic mud. In health resorts mineral water “Feodosiya” is widely used for the treatment of diseases of the digestive system.
Sheregesh, Kemerovo region (Russia)
The Siberian ski resort Sheregesh is located in the south of Kuzbass in Gornaya Shoria (Kemerovo region). The main routes here are laid along the eastern slope of Mount Karitshal, better known as the “Green”. This resort is suitable for skiers of all levels. There are 2 prepared trails here, which merge into one wide one in the lower part of the slope. The longest track has a length of 3000m. The maximum height within the resort is 1270 m, the height difference is 600 m. The season lasts from November to May, at this time the snow thickness is kept at the level of 2 m, and sometimes reaches 5 m. Skiers are delivered to the slopes by 1 double chair lift and 3 drag lifts. There are more than 7 rental points and a ski school.
Engels, Saratov region (Russia)
Engels is located opposite Saratov on the left bank of the Volga River. You can get to it along the Saratov bridge almost 3 km long. The settlement of Pokrovsky town, which was located on the site of modern Engels, has been known since 1747. It was the final point on the Elton tract, along which salt was delivered from Lake Elton. The local trading settlement was famous for its salt shops. Later, the settlement received the status of a city, and in 1931 was renamed Engels in honor of Friedrich Engels. In 1924-1941 the city was the capital of the Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic of the Volga Germans.
The most ancient landmark of the city is the Holy Trinity Church. It was built in 1825. Merchants’ mansions of the early 20th century have been preserved in Engels, the most remarkable of which – the houses of Dummler and Kobzar – are located in the city center, now they house the city administration. Throughout the city there are monuments in honor of the events of the Great Patriotic War.
The Engels Local History Museum has been operating in Engels since 1925.. It tells about the history of the region. The museum exhibits a paleontological collection, archaeological collections, where you can see the gold things of the Hun era, the Golden Horde manuscript on birch bark and a bronze helmet from the burial of the Sarmatian leader, the ethnographic collection of the Volga Germans, the only collection of paintings by the artist Ya.Ya. Weber, graphic works by A.I. Kravchenko and the collection of paintings and drawings by A.A. Mylnikov. In addition, since 1995, the house-museum of L. Kassil has been opened in Engels. 27 km south of Engels, near the village of Smelovka, there is a memorial park “Gagarin’s Landing Place”. It was created in 1965. There is an obelisk and a monument to Yu.A. Gagarin. Cosmonautics Day is widely celebrated in the park every year.